Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Important Things in Life

It's been two years. It's been TWO WHOLE YEARS since I left my hometown. I can't believe it. Looking back, I couldn't wait to leave. I couldn't wait to explore something new and see what this crazy world had to offer a very naive southern girl. It's been an adventure, ya'll. I can remember finally making it to California and thinking...what in the world did we get ourselves into? I hated it. 

I've come to appreciate San Diego. We have had a lot of fun here. We have made some of the best memories of our lives while being stationed here in San Diego. We have been so fortunate to travel and explore this gorgeous side of the country. I've been so lucky to work with some of the most incredible people and have the most understanding, caring and laid back boss. How did I get so lucky? I often ask myself this very question. I just smile, nod my head and say thank you.

I truly believe that we were meant to come here. More importantly, I was meant to leave the comfort of home. I've grown as a person and woman more than I ever imagined. I've become a better wife. I've realized what's important to me in life. I've realized what truly matters in our far too short time on this beautiful Earth. Shore duty rekindled my marriage and brought my husband and I closer than ever. It's not normal to be apart from your spouse for such long periods of time. But, that was normal for us. That was our life as a military couple. It's funny to think that I was nervous about the idea of being together for THREE straight years. After all, sea duty was all I ever knew. I am so grateful for this short duty. Forever grateful!

Tonight, I sat in our bedroom while Daniel did school work in the other room and cried my eyes out while listening to some of my very favorite childhood country songs. As I looked out our bedroom window to our gorgeous view of Downtown San Diego, I watched several American flags flying high above buildings during a beautiful sunset. It was the first time I had ever noticed them. I cried. I cried of the idea of dropping Daniel off for that first work up or deployment once sea duty rolls around again in only one year. I cried for my dear friend that has endured back-to-back sea duties for years and who is currently undergoing yet another deployment while raising five amazing children.

The purpose of this entry to let my family and friends know just how much each and every single one of them means to me. I always knew I was lucky to have such a supportive family and group of friends that would do anything for me. But, leaving home, made me realize something that I can't even put into words. It made me realize that my hometown is truly a beautiful place. It made me realize that the Navy family that welcomed me with open arms will always be family to me. It made me realize just how much I took my family for granted and miss them every single second of every single day. It made me realize just how much I miss FSU football games. Some of my most favorite memories have been spent watching them play. Most importantly, it's who I watch the games with that make them even more special. 

We find out at the end of this year where the Navy will send us to next. Will it be home? Maybe. My heart wants to come home. I can't imagine undergoing another sea duty without the support of my family and friends in Jacksonville. But, if I have to, I know I will have support where ever we may go. 

I love each and every one of you very much. Thank you for being apart of my life.  


TOP TEN THINGS I MISS ABOUT HOME: 

1. FAMILY
2. FRIENDS
3. SWEET TEA
4. PUBLIX
5. WARM BEACHES
6. SOUTHERN PEOPLE
7. THE FEELING OF HOME
8. BEING ABLE TO GET IN MY CAR & DRIVE TO MY MOM WITHIN MINUTES
9. FSU GAMES WITH FAMILY
10. A BIG OLE' HOUSE AND YARD
11. PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment